[GRASS-dev] debugging nviz with TclTk 8.5 aqua

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Jul 24 01:13:53 EDT 2008

On Jul 23, 2008, at 9:00 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2008, at 10:41 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
>>> It pretty much worked. BUT the weird thing was that the main GUI
>>> was in tcltk x11 and only nviz was in tcltk aqua. Most stuff
>>> worked. Font setting did not work. When I tried to add a new
>>> raster surface from within NVIZ, it crashed.
>>
>> Ah, I didn't try the GUI, or adding another raster...
>>
>> Hmm, GUI doesn't start: "unable to execute command".  Maybe the OSX
>> startup didn't get the right setting for wish.  I'll look into that.
>>
> Ah, the OSX app startup logic is warped for setting GRASS_WISH and
> GRASS_TCLSH.  I need to work on that.
>
> Another thing I noticed - probably something that changed in Xcode
> in recent versions, but the TCLTK_INTERNAL= gets interpreted as
> unset now in the makefile.  So this works:
>
> export TCLTK_INTERNAL=" "

Whoo hooo!

I worked. It actually looks pretty nice for the main GUI. What you
need to do is to copy grass7.app/Contents/MacOSX/bin/wish8.5 to wish.
Hopefully, this can be worked out in the compilation mac.app step.

The TclTk interface has some visual issues, but nothing that would be
too hard to clean up if I knew that we were going to go with TclTk 8.5
aqua. The special color picker does work right, but I could just
switch that to a native TclTk color picker rather than the custom one
that is used. It crashed on trying to open vector point thematic
mapping. I don't know if that was because it has a problem there or
because it had just accumulated enough small errors. I also got the
bogus -label error on hiding and showing the control panel. It's
probably not hard to fix, just to track down.

This means that GRASS can run entirely without X11 on the Mac, but
still have access to a terminal. And an x-window can always be opened
if someone wants to use the old display drivers.

This also means that there is no reason not to compile open GL for
aqua in GRASS 7. Maybe we can now get the NEW nviz in wxPython to
compile on the Mac too. I'd like to take a look at it.

Thanks for
Michael