[GRASS-dev] PYTHONPATH question

William Kyngesburye kyngchaos at kyngchaos.com
Tue Jul 29 14:03:02 EDT 2008

On Jul 29, 2008, at 12:42 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> Looking more closely, one is in...
>
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/bin/python
>
> and the other is in...
>
> /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/bin/python
>
> Is one of these a System Python, or has MacPython shifted where it
> installs?
>
> Michael

I thought that would be obvious: /System/Library/... is the system
python.  The MacPython packagers would have been out of their minds to
install in there.

Technically, they're both "MacPython", or just plain "Python" since
the MacPython packaging became the official distribution.  But it's
still helpful to say "system python" and "MacPython" (or as I say,
"python.org python") to distinguish between the two.

Apple builds the standard [Mac]Python, just in the system location
(and a few tweaks, like site-packages in /Library/Python).

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Oh, look, I seem to have fallen down a deep, dark hole.  Now what
does that remind me of?  Ah, yes - life."

- Marvin