[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] r.watershed speed-up

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Jul 29 19:09:57 EDT 2008

I just want to note something very tactfully mentioned below. That is,
all such algorithms are estimates of real watershed behavior. AFAICT,
r.watershed produces a very good estimate of these parameters and
dynamics. Nevertheless, we should be careful about trying to exactly
replicate its results--as if it IS the real world. We should not
assume a priori that because they differ slightly that the new one is
worse. We should at least consider the possibility that the new
r.watershed.fast algorithm is equally good as the original in that it
can replicate it to such a high degree. The small differences between
the two could simply be where both are less able to model real
landscapes (flat areas) and produce equally good estimates even though
they differ slightly. It is also possible that the new algorithm makes
r.watershed.fast an even closer match to reality than r.watershed and
the differences are where the new modules is better than the old one.
These are empirical questions.

Michael