[GRASS-dev] GRASS 7 development started

Maris Nartiss maris.gis at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 02:23:29 EDT 2008

Hello all!

I understand that it's summer outside (for most of us) and thus nobody wants to sit inside and do any coding (including myself). Still I want to understand how GRASS 7 development will be done. This thread/discussion seems to end nowwhere.

Can somebody make small announcement what ordinary coders[1] should do?

Currently I see that most of development is done in trunk and Martin is merging back to develbranch_6 [2].
How long we are planning to sit on two chairs and when trunk (finally) will be broken?

IMHO "software engineers" should break trunk in incompatible way and ordinary "coders" should work on modules in devbranch_6 till trunk is fixed (after major incompatible lib changes). Then we could port modules from dev to trunk. IMHO there's no use to play catch-up-with-lib-changes for modules in trunk while libs are not GRASS-7 ready.

Sorry for rant,
Maris.

1. http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2008-July/038992.html
2. http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/search?changeset=on&q=merged+from+trunk&page=4&noquickjump=1