R: R: R: [GRASS-dev] GRASS FFMPEG support

Marco Pasetti marco.pasetti at alice.it
Sat Jun 14 05:16:20 EDT 2008

Hi Glynn,

> No, I mean the "gcc ... -shared" command which actually links the
> library. That's what is generating the errors.

well... sure, sorry :)
I attached it because it's very long, and I think it would make the e-mail
text too dirty if inserted inline.

> The problem is that lib/OGSF/Makefile doesn't actually specify that
> -lavutil is required when building the OGSF DLL.
>[...]

ok. gotcha.

> Windows doesn't have a separate search path for DLLs, it just looks in
> $PATH. For Cygwin/MinGW, the "lib" directories are only used for
> import libraries; DLLs go in the "bin" directory as that will already
> be in $PATH.
>[...]

thanks. meanwhile I better googled for it, and I found as follows:

from: http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/sample%20DLL

The import library created by the "--out-implib" linker option is required
iff (==if and only if) the DLL shall be interfaced from some C/C++ compiler
other than the MinGW toolchain. The MinGW toolchain is perfectly happy to
directly link against the created DLL.

> *.pc are pkg-config files. On Linux, the "official" way to determine
> the CFLAGS/LDFLAGS required to use a particular package is e.g.:
>[...]

thanks again. You're my personal Wikipedia on software engineering... but a
lot better than Wikipedia :)

Regards,

Marco