[GRASS-dev] WinGRASS Wiki Hacking

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Fri Jun 27 09:27:40 EDT 2008

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008, Glynn Clements wrote:

[...]
> [3] For GDAL, I used its internal versions of the Zlib/TIFF/JPEG/PNG
> libraries, and no other dependencies. So far as compiling GRASS is
> concerned, you only need a minimal version of GDAL. You can always
> replace the GDAL DLL with a more feature-rich version later.

When I compiled GDAL I used external libraries as much as possible, to
keep the binary size down - but that was the only reason. For
compatibility probably better to use the internal ones.

> [4] Actually, I haven't tried using a pre-compiled Tcl/Tk binary. I'm
> not sure that we should recommend the ActiveState version due to the
> licensing terms.

I agree with that - it was quick and easy to get working before I realised
how easy it was to compile Tcl/Tk on Windows anyway.

[...]
> In the meantime, can we put the binaries for XDR, PROJ, GDAL and
> Tcl/Tk on the GRASS site?

That would be good.

> We really shouldn't be forcing people to
> compile these themselves before they can even start trying to compile
> GRASS. Especially XDR, PROJ, and GDAL, which are mandatory
> dependencies.

On the WinGRASS wiki page there is a link to a binary package that I
provided containing:
xdr-4.0-mingw32
proj-4.6.0
gdal-1.5.0
fftw-2.1.5
tcl-8.5.0
tk-8.5.0

However those versions are 5-6 months old so it would be great to get
things up-to-date. And ultimately I can see us providing simple binary
packages on the GRASS site, while people looking for a point & click
installer could be directed towards OSGeo4W. I think that would keep
server disk space requirements in check, among other things.

Paul