[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] g.xlist/g.xremove addons (C version of g.mlist/g.mremove)

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Jun 30 10:47:32 EDT 2008

Ivan Shmakov wrote:

>  >> I've just uploaded g.xlist and g.xremove (C implementations of
>  >> g.mlist and g.mremove, no dependency on g.list/g.remove) to
>  >> grass-addons/general.  To compile these addons, you need POSIX
>  >> regex(3) functions.  They are super fast (native speed of
>  >> g.list/g.remove)!  Please test these modules.
>
> [...]
>
>  >> If these changes to libgis (ls.c, join.c, gisdefs.h, POSIX regex)
>  >> are acceptable, g.m?(list|remove) might be substituted with these
>  >> modules (?).
>
>  > The existing scripts cannot be removed unless the C versions can be
>  > made to work on all platforms (I daresay there's a regex library for
>  > Windows, but we still need configure tests, etc).
>
> 	BTW, Autoconf allows for the parts of the package to be
> 	configured by independent `configure' scripts
> 	(AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS.)  Could the splitting of the top-level
> 	`configure' script be considered for GRASS?

Personally, I don't see that there is much to be gained by doing this.

It's not as if different parts of GRASS really are separate packages.
Everything depends upon libgis, and much of it depends upon e.g. GDAL.
So it's likely to be more reliable if a single configure script
considers everything as a whole.