[GRASS-dev] New Binary Package Project for winGRASS

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Sat Mar 1 15:45:25 EST 2008

Marco Pasetti wrote:

> 1. because I added some extra-supports in GRASS (such as PostgreSQL, SQLite
> and ActiveTcl), I could use Dependency Walker to securely check what files
> are needed and then add them in ../bin dir, in order to prepare a self
> contained package/installer, whitout the need of asking the user to install
> other pieces of software; but, can I do that (I mean about licenses,
> permissions, and so on...)? About PostgreSQL and SQLite I rebuilt packages
> from source, while about ActiveTcl I used prebuit windows installer.

Why use ActiveTcl? The regular, GPL'd Tcl compiles without any problems
and can be distributed freely. Would also be interesting to know how
8.5 is working on Win.

> 3. do we really need MSYS? Quantum GIS self installer still have MSYS inside
> (only few files), whithout the need of installing it separately. Can we do
> do the same?

Yes, please. The sh interpreter is vastly superior to cmd.exe.

--
Benjamin Ducke, M.A.
Archäoinformatik

Tel.: ++49 (0)431 880-3378 / -3379