[GRASS-dev] Re: grass-dev Digest, Vol 23, Issue 3

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Mar 1 19:04:14 EST 2008

On Mar 1, 2008, at 1:54 PM, grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 18:59:41 +0100
> From: "Marco Pasetti" <marco.pasetti at alice.it>
> Subject: [GRASS-dev] winGRASS RC5 Fails on Creating a New Projection
>
> Hi,
>
>> From startpanel, define new location with epsg codes
> Used 4326 for WGS84
> Returned the following message:
>
> g.proj returned the following informational message: child killed:
> SIGABRT

Ahha, the SIGABRT problem. I have no idea what it means, but have
encountered it before. What that has meant when I've run into it is
that something wasn't installed right. If you try to drag-and-drop
the contents of the compressed WinGRASS distribution file, sometimes
something gets missed. I assume that it's some kind of hidden (to
Windows) file, but don't know what it is. The result is kind of
random SIGABRT errors. I suspect that it is a problem with some
Windows unzip applications but not others, though it may be a
function of Windows copy I suppose.

My solution is to EXTRACT the files to C:/ instead of doing a drag-
and-drop.

Try it and see if this fixes your problem. It's kind of black magic
and I wish I knew exactly what caused it. But the error is
inscrutable, at least to me.

Michael