[GRASS-dev] about SWIG Python interface...

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 3 07:03:21 EST 2008

G. Allegri  wrote:
> I'm very much interested to the SWIG Python interface, as I'm
>  considering some investments to do with Grass functionalities. I'm
>  going to test the methods used by JGrass to interface Java with
>  Grass native commands, but I think it would be a great improvemente
>  to support it for Python too, as many non-programmer users use it
>  (also the ones coming from ArcGIS world!).
>
>  The question is: as Martin says, it's still in a "pre-alpha" state,

well, it basically works, AFAICT. So I'd call it in mid-alpha state.
:)

>  but do you think it will be developed more and supported?

it's a loop: it gets developed more once it is working well and more
people are using it. my advice is to try it and see for yourself!

Start with reading swig/python/README and:
cd swig/python
make

and see what happens. if there are build problems they are probably
easy to fix.

After it builds, try the example found in the README and the ones in
the GRASS Wiki python pages linked from my last m.distance post.

What GRASS lib fns are you interested in using?

>  Is the work done by Alessandro Frigeri (Univeristy of Perugia), to
>  implement a SWIG/Python interface [1], already included in the
> actual code?
>  [1]

http://www.foss4g2006.org/materialDisplay.py?contribId=136&sessionId=48&materialId=slides&confId=1

I don't know, but I don't think so.