[GRASS-dev] about SWIG Python interface...

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 3 07:12:39 EST 2008

G. Allegri wrote:
> I'm very much interested to the SWIG Python interface, as I'm
>  considering some investments to do with Grass functionalities. I'm
>  going to test the methods used by JGrass to interface Java with
>  Grass native commands,

Oh, just like there is already swig/python and swig/perl for GRASS
there could be swig/java too if someone wanted to work on that.
  http://www.swig.org/Doc1.3/Java.html

How does JGrass do it now? Do they link to the GRASS C API or just
modules? (the modules generally give enough low level control to not
need to use the C API much)

> but I think it would be a great improvemente to support it for
> Python too, as many non-programmer users use it

I am encouraged for the world by the many hints that Python may become
a de facto scripting standard for geo-scientists. It would be a Good
Thing.

Hamish