[GRASS-dev] WinGRASS: Xerces-C and Expat under MingW

benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Tue Mar 4 09:08:57 EST 2008

marco.pasetti at alice.it wrote:
> Hi Benjamin,
>
> I'm afraid that you're doing that work right now, and not a week before :-)
> because I just released a new MSYS GRASS environment, while it would be
> perfect to also add Xerces and Expat support to both GDAL and GRASS
> (only Xerces)
> it will be on the next time

That's OK, there are plenty more things that need further work, anyway.

> anyway I'm not sure about Expat; did you read this?
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/BuildingWithMinGW
>
> the libexpat.dll.a is the import static library used while building the
> shared one; it is used (with the -lexpat.dll istruction) while building
> executables
> but I hope to fail and you're right ;-)

Welcome to Windows' "DLL hell". You would not believe the mess that
shared libraries are under Win32. Apparently, symbols to be used at
linking tine can be included in the actual DLL or an external library
file, the format of which depends on the C compiler. So you have .dll,
.dll.a, .lib, .a, .la, .lai files floating around ...

As far as I can see, in the case of Expat, all necessary symbols
are in expat-1.dll. At least the little test program I compiled worked
alright with it.

If anything comes up, I will report it to the list.

Best,

Benjamin

> Marco

Benjamin Ducke
Senior Applications Support and Development Officer

Oxford Archaeological Unit Limited
Janus House
Osney Mead
OX2 0ES