[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-SVN] r30420 - grass/trunk/scripts/v.db.renamecol

Ivan Shmakov ivan at theory.asu.ru
Wed Mar 5 02:41:30 EST 2008

 >> On Ubuntu Gutsy it's like Ivan says - echo "!" is ok in scripts,
 >> fails on command line.

 >> I'm about to switch to Debian. I'll check this if not forget to.

 > It could very well be user error & bad memory on my behalf.

	It's probably so.  It seems that `!' cannot be granted its
	special meaning within the non-interactive Bash (even with
	explicit `set -H'.)

 > But regardless it can only be a good thing to '' quote !s.

	I guess there're enough scripts with unquoted `!' outside of
	GRASS, and I believe that the special treatment of `!' violates
	POSIX.  So, the only good thing for the user would be to fix the
	Shell.