[GRASS-dev] quotong in messages [was: [GRASS-SVN] r30420 - grass/trunk/scripts/v.db.renamecol]

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Wed Mar 5 09:49:31 EST 2008

Ivan Shmakov pisze:
 > Hamish pisze:

>> It could very well be user error & bad memory on my behalf.

> 	It's probably so.  It seems that `!' cannot be granted its
> 	special meaning within the non-interactive Bash (even with
> 	explicit `set -H'.)

>> But regardless it can only be a good thing to '' quote !s.

> 	I guess there're enough scripts with unquoted `!' outside of
> 	GRASS, and I believe that the special treatment of `!' violates
> 	POSIX.  So, the only good thing for the user would be to fix the
> 	Shell.

Hi

So g.message manual is not correct:

Messges containing '!' and '$' must use single 'quotes' to avoid
unwanted shell translation.

It should be:

On the shell command line, messages containing '!' and '$' must use
single quotes to avoid unwanted shell translation of events and
variables. In shell scripts, both double and single quotes are safe.

Right?

Maciek