[GRASS-dev] Re: twekaing messages [was: r30420 - grass/trunk/scripts/v.db.renamecol]

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Wed Mar 5 09:33:33 EST 2008

Markus Neteler pisze:
> On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 4:44 PM, Maciej Sieczka <tutey at o2.pl> wrote:

>>  Is any modification of an existing message going to break it's translations?

> Yes.
> For every supported language it needs to be fixed manually then.

>>  I changed much more in the messages than periods only. Will that be a
>>  problem?

> I think so - the translators will "thank" you if it wasn't needed.

I think it was. What now - do I revert the messages to their worse form
for the sake of translations?

If so, this technicaly means all messages are frozen once translated to
any language. How do GRASS devs find it? How do we deal with typos,
better wording etc. then?

Getting back to v.db.renamecol - what about this message (r30131 vs r30445):

138,140c130,132
< if [ "$col" = "cat" ] ; then
<    g.message -e "Cannot rename <$col> column as it is needed to keep
table \
<      connected to vector map"
---
 > if [ "$oldcol" = "$keycol" ] ; then
 >    g.message -e "Cannot rename column <$oldcol> as it is needed to
keep table <$table>\
 >      connected to the input vector map"

At least the $col var must be replaced with $oldcol, due to a bug fix.
What do I do?

Maciek