[GRASS-dev] Re: GUI support for TclTk 8.5

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Mar 8 10:06:15 EST 2008

On Mar 8, 2008, at 1:38 AM, grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 16:06:13 -0800 (PST)
> From: Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] Current state of GUIs on Win32
> To: grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org
>
> Michael Barton wrote:
>> The current GUI is based on TclTk 8.4.14 or so. As some people have
>> noted, it may work with 8.5, but there is no guarantee about it.
>> Given that we are replacing this GUI, I don't think it is worth the
>> effort to update the GUI to 8.5.
>
> IMO we should at least attempt to support Tcl/Tk 8.3 - 8.5.
>
> For 8.3 there is just the one problem with v.digit, AFAIK.
>
> For 8.5 it apparently mostly works, if it is just a few little issues
> which are not so hard to fix, then we should try and solve them.
> i.e. we should at least look into 8.5 problems, it is probably just
> 1-5
> lines of code to be adjusted, and that's not a huge drain on
> development resources.

You are right that fixing issues is probably pretty simple. It's
figuring out what to fix that is time consuming. Right now, I'm
heavily overcommitted timewise. And on top of that, I'm using my
laptop (primary development box) for my GIS class and can't afford to
have GRASS broken for more than a couple days. So I have no problem
in theory, fixing the GUI for 8.5 if it doesn't involve NVIZ
internals or something like that, but won't have time to do much for
awhile.

Michael