[GRASS-dev] first users main trouble

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 14 04:26:35 EDT 2008

Yann Chemin wrote:
> When processing is done, they think their new map is going to be
> displayed automatically (it is part of the  processing to display
> output).

maybe the refresh button could blink or get a different background color
when the display is known to be "out of date". Or from the other
direction, be shaded (but still operational) if thought to be "up to
date"?

> linked to this, they have hard time imagining that two-three windows
> make one software (I know, Windows users they are), I have to expelain
> that most GIS/RS software work this way, and that it has strong
> advantages (dual monitors for example, one for processing and one
> visualizing), and I prefer it that way as many of us I guess.

I don't know, at one end is StarOffice 5 which took the single window
thing way too far (it had it's own "Start" button, ..) and at the other
end is GpsMan which spews new windows all over the place which makes
workflow very confusing. I guess there is a happy medium somewhere. AFAIU
in the new wx GUI the output window has been converted into a tab of the
control window, so the user is now presented with just two active
windows: control and display. (A module will open a new window; perhaps
that could become additional tabs of the control window...? shrug)

> Just adding a little bit on what wall very first GIS users are
> banging...

important stuff to hear...

Hamish