[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS GIS] #7: Location wizard: should predefine DB connection for new location

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Mar 14 11:29:54 EDT 2008

> #7: Location wizard: should predefine DB connection for new location
> ----------------------
> +-----------------------------------------------------
>   Reporter:  neteler  |       Owner:  hamish
>       Type:  defect   |      Status:  assigned
>  Component:  default  |     Version:  svn-trunk
> Resolution:           |    Keywords:
> ----------------------
> +-----------------------------------------------------
> Comment (by hamish):
>
>  Michael:
>> If we want this to be easily changeable in the future, it should be
>> dealt with in a central place
>  [...]
>> so that changing it once will switch from a dbf to sqlite default.
>
>  yes, now set by line 9 of include/dbmi.h:
>  http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/include/dbmi.h?
> rev=30545

Thanks. Sounds like this issue is put to rest completely.

>> (this is how locations are created in the location wizard)
>
>  they needn't be and probably shouldn't be. (unless 'v.in.ogr -c
> locat=',
>  but then that's already covered by v.in.ogr)

???

v.in.ogr imports a vector file and creates a new location.

The location wizard creates locations without importing anything. It
also creates locations in several ways: specifying georeferencing
information, selecting EPSG code, grabbing georeferencing information
from a file. AFAICT, g.proj is the appropriate tool to use here.
>> I'm agnostic about which way is best, except that I don't think that
>> we should hack it into the location wizard wxPython code.
>
>  It shouldn't need to be in any mapset/location creation code. It
> should be
>  dealt with: in a single place, at the time of DB creation, if needed.

Agree.

Michael