[GRASS-dev] GRASS 6.3.0

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Mar 15 00:11:49 EDT 2008

On Mar 14, 2008, at 10:28 PM, Hamish wrote:

> As r.in.wms has been reported to work on Mac 10.5, I infer that the
> #!/bin/bash used by r.tileset makes it use bash's internal echo (which
> supports echo -n) instead of a system BSD /bin/echo which does not.
> (??)
> Even if that is so, it's probably a good idea to fix anyway. The eval
> within a function within another function and array quoting makes my
> head
> hurt, so for clarity's sake I am leaning towards going with Paul's
> suggestion of using GRASS's own $GISBASE/etc/echo there and keeping
> the
> -n, versus Glynn's patch which I find hard to review beyond trial &
> error
> tests which I can't properly do without OSX 10.5, which I don't have.

I was just comparing the 10.4 and 10.5 man pages for echo and bash -
ALL have the -n flag.  So really, it must be broken in 10.5's bash.
Or not?  Just to verify, on its own:

echo -n "asdf"
/bin/echo -n "asdf"

both suppress the newline.  Strange.  Was it reported to not work in
r.tileset, or was it relation to another command?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

The equator is so long, it could encircle the earth completely once.