[GRASS-dev] r.watershed and swap memory

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Mar 18 09:33:23 EDT 2008

Ivan - you may talk to Yann on this list before you buy more memory -
he is trying to do the same as you , but with a bigger DEM and 8GB of
memory (Yann I hope it is OK with you that I am revealing this here).
My experience with large DEMs (up to 10,000x10,000) has been that I
had to split the area into sections that were about
2000x2000 on 1GB memory computer) to get it done (I was able to do
that for Panama because of its shape - many small watersheds rather
than a single big one) - it took me several days to do that.
Then I ran r.terraflow and I got it in 3 hours.

Yann says that r.terraflow did not work for him - now I remember what
the problem was when I tried to run it recently -
it needs a LOT of hard drive space which is not a problem these days,
BUT the default has been changed
to /tmp which for my linux box is only 2GB or so. But when running
r.terraflow you can define where
you want the temporary files to be written - so give it something
with a lot of space (tens of gigabytes at least)
and it should run. I think that the default should be changed to
where it was - I think it is the regular grass tmp where people
usually have a lot of space for the data.

If even that does not work you can give a try to brand new
TerraSTREAM - see the link below
(and let me know whether it works for you),

Helena

  TerraSTREAM provides a series of components that
perform flow modeling and terrain analysis tasks on very large digital
elevation models and works equally well on TIN and grid DEMs. The
algorithms
used in the libraries have provable efficient performance in the
worst case,
even on very large terrains that do not fit in the main memory of the
computer.
TerraSTREAM 0.2 comes with direct GRASS and ArcGIS support as well as
a simple
standalone graphical user interface and powerful command line tools
that can be
used alone or integrated into most GIS environments by scripting. For
more
information about this release and for contact information, visit
http://madalgo.au.dk/Trac-TerraSTREAM/.
The TerraSTREAM 0.2 users guide is available here:
http://madalgo.au.dk/Trac-TerraSTREAM/wiki/UsersGuide .