[GRASS-dev] r.watershed and swap memory

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 21:38:44 EDT 2008

Yann Chemin wrote:
> 149,040,000 Cells for the srtm 90m of Mekong river.
> computer is on 8Gb RAM.
> About 65 % done after 43.x hours, r.watershed basically does it, it
> seems.
> Of course efficiency is a problem here, but it does it.

how much RAM is the process using? (check with `top`, VIRT RES SHR)

> yes r.terraflow goes to /tmp, that is considered a bug to me, not an
> enhancement...
> The location from which we have the GRASS dataset is generally the
> best guess for large empty Disk space.

note these r.terraflow options:
        memory   Main memory size (in MB)
                 default: 300
    STREAM_DIR   Location of intermediate STREAMs
                 default: /var/tmp

by making memory= larger the required tmp file space should be smaller.
you can set STREAM_DIR= somewhere else if you like.

Hamish