[GRASS-dev] spam filter for web list?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Mar 18 21:59:12 EDT 2008

Hamish wrote:
> What does "poorly configured" email system mean?
> (e.g. I often spoof my own from address so I can post using a local SMTP
> server not yahoo's [university firewall issues, local client,
> fetchyahoo.pl cron job -> local mbox, ...])

Hamish,

I gather greylisting works by holding refusing an email the first time,
and waiting to see if the sender retries.  Once they have done this once
they are assumed to be "real" and email is send through directly in the future.
This is built on the assumption that spammers don't implement smtp retries
properly, but that all real mail systems do implement it properly.

So I'm referring to smtp systems that do not properly retry sending an email
later if it fails the first time.

But, I don't know all the details about this stuff, and I don't particularly
want to be in the middle of it, which is why I failed to act on Markus'
suggestion for several months.

Best regards,