[GRASS-dev] spam filter for web list?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Mar 19 07:24:07 EDT 2008

Frank, Hamish,

die to the spam bombing I had recently set the grass-web list to
moderation ("hold"). That's why.

The chain was:
    User -> weblist at grass itc.it -> /etc/aliases ->
           -> neteler.osgeo..gmail.com (for Spam filtering) -> FWD ->
             -> grass-web at lists osgeo.org ("hold")

Since yesterday greylisting is active [1] and spam disappeared (as expected).
Right now I have opened the grass-web again so that mails should
go through directly.

The chain is now:
    User -> weblist at grass itc.it -> /etc/aliases ->
           -> neteler.osgeo..gmail.com (for Spam filtering) -> FWD ->
            -> postgrey -> grass-web at lists osgeo.org

To make sense of postgrey here, we should change "weblist at grass itc.it"
to an alias at OSGeo.org which goes directly to "grass-web at lists osgeo.org".
We can fix that the next days.

cheers
Markus (still 700 unread emails)

[1] http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/190

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 2:59 AM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
> Hamish wrote:
>  > What does "poorly configured" email system mean?
>  > (e.g. I often spoof my own from address so I can post using a local SMTP
>  > server not yahoo's [university firewall issues, local client,
>  > fetchyahoo.pl cron job -> local mbox, ...])
>
>  Hamish,
>
>  I gather greylisting works by holding refusing an email the first time,
>  and waiting to see if the sender retries.  Once they have done this once
>  they are assumed to be "real" and email is send through directly in the future.
>  This is built on the assumption that spammers don't implement smtp retries
>  properly, but that all real mail systems do implement it properly.
>
>  So I'm referring to smtp systems that do not properly retry sending an email
>  later if it fails the first time.
>
>  But, I don't know all the details about this stuff, and I don't particularly
>  want to be in the middle of it, which is why I failed to act on Markus'
>  suggestion for several months.
>

>  Best regards,
>  --

Open Source Geospatial Foundation