[GRASS-dev] New GRASS icons

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Mar 20 03:27:03 EDT 2008

On Mar 19, 2008, at 7:11 PM, grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:08:29 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Robert Szczepanek <grass at szczepanek.pl>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] New GRASS icons
> To: grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org
>

> Michael Barton wrote:
>>

>>> First draft is on my web page
>>> http://www.szczepanek.pl/icons.grass/
>>
>> The new display/erase/and zoom-back icons don't seem like they would
>> be as informative to a user (i.e., with the checkerboard pattern) as
>> to what they do.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> I agree with you Michael and I'am still looking for better symbols.
> Those two first icons will be difficult is we want to express them
> precisely.
> Is there significant difference for the user between >display< and
> >redraw<?

There is in TclTk, but I think it is heading toward going away in
wxPython (opinions Martin??)

> Second step for new icons:
> http://www.szczepanek.pl/icons.grass/index.php#2
> Please take a look at >layer< and symbols for general actions.

Here's my reaction. Basic idea of action icons as modifiers is very
good.

Add, delete, redraw, more options - great

New - I don't know. But I don't know what a good icon for "new" would
be. "*" as a modifier may be as good as it gets. "+" on a "folder"?

Open, save - make sense. But open folder and disk icons have become
very widely recognized.

Import, export - look like they mean "forward" and "back". What about
arrow partly overlapping a folder? Arrowhead pointing towards folder
and overlapping it (tail extending beyond the folder) for import and
reverse for export? Something along those lines?

Previous, next - a little hard to see (maybe easier with color), but
elegant and easy to understand.

Layers: Most GIS people (I think) tend to see maps and layers as
rectangular so that the edge of the layer lines up with the edge of
the screen. So the diamond is less easy to understand in the
abstract. Perhaps color will make it obvious. If so, it is an elegant
design. I'd go with the left one over the right one.

I really appreciate you doing this and that you are doing it with
such careful thought as to usability and attractive design.

Michael