[GRASS-dev] New GRASS icons

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 07:02:52 EDT 2008

Hi all,

2008/3/20, Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>:
[snip]
>  > I agree with you Michael and I'am still looking for better symbols.
>  > Those two first icons will be difficult is we want to express them
>  > precisely.
>  > Is there significant difference for the user between >display< and
>  > >redraw<?
>

> There is in TclTk, but I think it is heading toward going away in
>  wxPython (opinions Martin??)

'Display' just redraws already rendered layers composition.
'Re-render' renders all layers and creates new layer composition which
is afterwards displayed in the map canvas (e.g. when you zoom, add new
map layer, etc.) BTW you can enable auto-rendering in the statusbar of
map display window. Then content of map canvas is automatically
re-render on every event (adding new layer, changing layer properties,
etc.).

>  >
>  > Second step for new icons:
>  > http://www.szczepanek.pl/icons.grass/index.php#2
>  > Please take a look at >layer< and symbols for general actions.
>

> Here's my reaction. Basic idea of action icons as modifiers is very
>  good.
>
>  Add, delete, redraw, more options - great
>
>  New - I don't know. But I don't know what a good icon for "new" would
>  be. "*" as a modifier may be as good as it gets. "+" on a "folder"?

E.g. "create new workspace", "new raster map", etc.?

>  Open, save - make sense. But open folder and disk icons have become
>  very widely recognized.
>
>  Import, export - look like they mean "forward" and "back". What about
>  arrow partly overlapping a folder? Arrowhead pointing towards folder
>  and overlapping it (tail extending beyond the folder) for import and
>  reverse for export? Something along those lines?
>
>  Previous, next - a little hard to see (maybe easier with color), but
>  elegant and easy to understand.
>
>  Layers: Most GIS people (I think) tend to see maps and layers as
>  rectangular so that the edge of the layer lines up with the edge of
>  the screen. So the diamond is less easy to understand in the
>  abstract. Perhaps color will make it obvious. If so, it is an elegant
>  design. I'd go with the left one over the right one.
>
>  I really appreciate you doing this and that you are doing it with
>  such careful thought as to usability and attractive design.

Good starting point for nice GRASS-original icons... Good work:-)

Martin

--
Martin Landa <landa.martin gmail.com> * http://gama.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa *