[GRASS-dev] table only creation in v.in.ascii

benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Fri Mar 28 04:46:21 EDT 2008

>>> Does anyone know what the restrictions on DBF field
>>> names are? Length?
>
>> 8 chars
>
> Add 2:
>
> "DBF column names are limited to 10 characters (DBF API definition)" [1]

That's really cool, because this says it's 12:

http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_shapefile.html

(And I am pretty sure I saw 13 on some other page .. what a mess)

Anyhow, I have stopped working on the diff for v.in.ascii for now as my
impression was that most people on this list would prefer to see the
table-only-creation option added to another module instead.

Cheers,

Benjamin