[GRASS-dev] Some questions about Vista...

marco.pasetti at alice.it marco.pasetti at alice.it
Fri Mar 28 05:54:55 EDT 2008

Hi all,

this is actually an OT, but I think it would be interesting for many reasons;

everyone here is building and testing WinGRASS on XP or 2000, while those two OS has been actually outdated by the release of Vista; it's a fact that any professionist or scientist who works on Windows actually still uses xp or 2000, but the future is on Vista, since new machines (specially notebooks) seem to not work with xp, due to unreleased libraries for xp to manage new HD architectures.

Should we start to think to build on Vista?

For the next months I planned to buy a new notebook; I need a *lot of power* to manage my 3D CAD and rendering projects, and I also would like to avail a great flexibility to let me work and develop on different platforms; because of all that, I decided to buy a MacBookPro on which I'll install (over OSX, obvioulsy) Windows and Linux (I thought Ubuntu, since I already intalled it on my current notebook). But I'm hesitant on which MS-OS to install, XP or Vista? since I don't feel the need to upgrade to Vista from XP (since Vista is definetely worse), it's not an *issue* about a *better* development environment, but just a *choice* watching forward to the future...

I hope to not have been boring...

Marco