[GRASS-dev] Announcing libLAS

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue May 6 14:55:01 EDT 2008

Hamish wrote:
> Mateusz:
>>> Yes, this is my understanding. As a note of explanation, I'm not
>>> a very experienced user of LiDAR data, so I'm not able to explain
>>> the nature of processing and analysis of "huge clouds of points"
>>> datasets. However, I understand that speed and performance is a
>>> critical factor.
> Helena:
>> Hamish - what Mateusz is saying is right - in fact the first thing
>> I had in mind was to ask both of you to see how to make r.in.xyz
>> read the LAS data directly (and maybe even run several of the
>> statistics at once, if possible).
>
> Ok, I think a new -r flag could be added to r.in.xyz to tell the
> input= file to expect a LAS file instead of a text file. (I don't
> like -l, it is too close to -1 in some fonts)
> [...]
> I would be happy to hand the vector/raster output question over to
> the LIDAR users, as I'm not sure myself what your final output needs
> are. e.g. what's the next step after import? v.surf.rst? r.univar?
> thresholding?

Helena, Hamish,

Obviously, I'm useless in solving the issues above, so I'm going to
leave the final decision about incorporating (or not) libLAS
support to the GRASS Team.

If there is a positive decision and you will like to implement libLAS
module/support, I'd be happy to help or perhaps contribute in future.

Greetings
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net