[GRASS-dev] build problems on Mac OS X 10.5.2.

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu May 8 23:33:53 EDT 2008

On May 8, 2008, at 9:26 PM, John Kern wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to build Grass from source on Leopard(Mac OS X 10.5.2
> with gcc 4.0.1).
>
> While PROJ.4 built and installed without problem,  configure failed
> for GRASS proper. The resulting error is ...
> "checking External PROJ.4 version... configure: error: *** Could not
> determine External PROJ.4 version."
>
> Consider this line from the trace output of the configure script.
>
> + eval echo configure:6910: '"${CC-cc}' -o conftest '$CFLAGS'
> '$CPPFLAGS' '$LDFLAGS' 'conftest.$ac_ext' '$LIBS' '1>&5"'
> ++ echo configure:6910: 'gcc -o conftest.dSYM -g -O2
> conftest.c  1>&5'
>
> The dSYM file extension on the output file is the critical bit. If
> the output file ends with a dSYM file extension, only supporting
> data is generated. No executable. (see example below). I worked
> around the problem by deleting references to ${ac_exeext}.  What's
> the right fix for the configure script? Apparently there is a
> supporting script to autoconf which needs to be updated, right?

These dSYM errors don't necessarily mean there is something wrong with
configure.  When configure is testing for things and they fail, a dSYM
error is more likely a symptom of that failure, not a bug in configure.

I have seen some problems when compiling with debug symbols (-g) on
Leopard.  I usually force my own CFLAGS so rarely run into this.  Try
setting CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS to "-Os" before running configure.

Another note: you will probably run into a libGL linking problem if
you are using Xcode 3.0.  This has been fixed in the Xcode 3.1 beta,
so I recommend installing that - it's included for now in the iPhone
SDK beta.  The -g issue may also be fixed in Xcode 3.1, I haven't
tried that yet.

See the macosx/ReadMe.rtf for all my current OSX notes (hmm, I don't
have the -g issue in there).

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy