R: R: [GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS GIS] #160: WinGRASS: v.report>incompatability issue

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu May 15 05:32:55 EDT 2008

> A the moment, the GRASS release is deteminated by the SVN
> revision number; it represents binaries built upon
> different source code distributions.
> I think that I should introduce a new code number, that
> represents releases with differences in binaries,
> libraries, install script patches... that is all but not
> differences in GRASS source code: I could call it BNR
> (Binary Release Code) and start it with 0 every time the
> SVN rev number has changed in the binary release.
>
> What do you think about?

FWIW this is how debian expresses it:
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Version

not that they should dictate what we do, but fyi. (their "BNR" resets to "-1" upon new code releases; "-0" is sometimes used for a release candidate or preparatory packages)

the version before the hyphen is the source code release's domain, after is the packager's domain.

Hamish