[GRASS-dev] Locking is not supported on Windows

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Tue May 20 18:29:42 EDT 2008

On Tue, 20 May 2008 marco.pasetti at alice.it wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> there's a thing that I never understood: why Locking is not supported on Windows?
> Then:
>
> 1) what is exactly locking? I tried to find it on the programmer's manual, but without success
>
> 2) I noticed that, when opening a location/mapset, GRASS doesn't create the .gislock file, as done on linux; without the .gislock file it's impossibel to change the working environment (that is the mapset...) by the g.mapset module

Hello Marco,

If you start GRASS using grass63.bat (not grass63.sh), yes, you are
correct that that won't work. I deliberately left it out of init.bat at
the time I wrote it as it would have been a lot of extra work to implement
it and it wasn't needed to get basic GRASS functionality working on
Windows without the requirement for a Unix shell (which was my goal at the
time). You can simply exit and restart GRASS if you want to change the
mapset or location.

I suppose you could consider this as another example of the type of thing
that will need to be fixed if WinGRASS is to move from alpha to
beta-quality software.

> 3) Could you please show me the related chapter/section in the programmer's manual where I can find information about it?

I believe the facility to change mapset or location without exiting and
restarting GRASS (and hence also this .gislock system) was added by Radim
Blazek some time during the development of version 5.7 (which eventually
became 6.0). So you might try searching for some old mailing list posts
by him which might document it better. I'd risk a bet that it isn't
documented in the programmers' manual, though it would be nice to be
proved wrong ;)

Paul