[GRASS-dev] Locking is not supported on Windows

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu May 22 06:05:57 EDT 2008

On Wed, 21 May 2008, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Paul Kelly wrote:
>
>> If you start GRASS using grass63.bat (not grass63.sh), yes, you are
>> correct that that won't work. I deliberately left it out of init.bat at
>> the time I wrote it as it would have been a lot of extra work to implement
>> it
>
> Where is the problem? Obtaining the PID?

I think I just didn't investigate the issues - thought I'd leave
implementing that functionality until some later time. But clearly, now is
that time.

> In the worst case, you could just create a lock file with a PID of
> zero. Assuming that the find_process() check is removed from etc/lock
> (kill() doesn't exist on Windows), the actual PID written to the file
> won't matter.

But does that not mean that if there is a stale lockfile for whatever
reason, it can't be removed automatically and the user will never be able
to use that mapset? (I'm thinking that Windows users are especially
unlikely to go manually looking for the lockfile and deleting it.)

Paul