[GRASS-dev] georeferencer - inspiration from gvSIG ?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri May 23 22:46:00 EDT 2008

Moritz:
> >> I've been working with gvSIG's
> >> georeferencing module lately, and I have to
> >> say that it rocks ! It allows you to see where you
> put your GCP's not only
> >> on the image to reference, but also on your base
> map and you can zoom into
> >> the points and move them around as needed in both
> maps. This allows for very
> >> precise georeferencing. You can also place and
> resize your image as you want
> >> in the same canvas as the reference map. Etc...
> >>
> >> It would be great to have something like this in
> GRASS if it is in any way
> >> feasible. So, maybe an inspiration for someone who
> has the time and feels
> >> inspired. Or for next years Google Summer of Code
> ?
> > could you post some (links to) screenshots?
>
> http://geog-pc40.ulb.ac.be/grass/misc/georef_gvSIG.pdf
>
> This is an extract of the gvSIG user manual with the
> chapter on the
> georeferencer. It contains screenshots + explanations.

[sorry about the linewraps, broken yahoo webapp..]

see also i.vpoints for neat features like click-a-point on source and target left/right panel images, and test reverse-projection of vector layers from target location over source image.

I would be nice to have the "auto" and "3d" i.points updated+moved from grass5 incoming / contrib code into grass6 addons, or at least well summarized for grass5 on a wiki page or so. the idea is to have a full plate of good ideas with demonstration code available while building the new wxGUI georeferencing app, thus a stronger roadmap of where we want it to go and what features to include.

Hamish