[GRASS-dev] Locking is not supported on Windows

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon May 26 13:25:34 EDT 2008

Hamish wrote:

> > Personally, I would like to see both WIND and CUR[SUB]GROUP
> > moved into $GISRC.
> >
> > The database stuff in VAR should also be able to be
> > overridden by $GISRC, with VAR being used as a fallback (similar
> > to DEFAULT_WIND for the region).
>
> these things are all mapset specific, so do you specifically mean
> moved into /tmp/grass6-$USER-$PID/gisrc not ~/.gisrc, correct?

Yes. ~/.grassrc6 is only used by Init.sh; everything else uses $GISRC.

> e.g. last used region obviously changes between ll and utm locations;
> it is nice to remember the last ones used per mapset between sessions;

Define "last used" in the case when you are using both the command
line and the GUI within the same mapset, but with different regions.

> for VAR, some datasets prefer a heavier DB by default without imposing
> that as the default on all others, etc.

If you are going to record per-mapset defaults, the contents should be
copied into $GISRC when it is created, when you switch mapsets, etc,
and the contents of $GISRC should be used thereafter. Library
functions shouldn't be reading these files directly.

Essentially, $GISRC should contain the entire session state. You can
have multiple processes with separate values for $GISRC, but you can't
have multiple WIND/VAR/CUR[SUB]GROUP files in one mapset.

If you want to store defaults in a mapset directory, there should be a
single file (e.g. VAR) for everything (i.e. replace the WIND and
CUR[SUB]GROUP files with VAR entries).