[GRASS-dev] GRASS 7 development started

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri May 30 09:44:55 EDT 2008

> > Glynn:
> >> Any final comments before the entire source tree
> >> is reformatted?
Hamish:
> > Any thoughts on keeping the inter-branch svn merge
> > effort low?
Markus:
> Proposal:
>
> - apply new indentation to trunk (after figuring out how to
>   keep reasonable _("") macro formatting)
> - then also apply to 6.4.devel_branch
>
> I also wondered how to manage backporting: the only way I
> see it to also fix 6.4.devel_branch. IMHO there are no negative
> side effects since it is *devel*_branch and since backporting to
> 6.3.svn is done only in severe cases.

"+1" from me.

Only tweak might be that the delay between applying to GRASS 7 and devbr6 be a week or two, long enough to test for any problems. And that any indent WARNINGs be logged so that they might be checked over.

As i18n macros are mainly used with G_warning, G_fatal_error and G_*message I think it will be very easy to write a little sed + xargs script to fix those.

MSGS="warning fatal_error message verbose_message important_message"
for MSG in MSGS ; do
  sed -e 's/G_${MSG}\n/G_$MSG/' \
      -e 's/^_([:space:].*)\(/$1_(/'   # or however replacement goes
done

well obviously that is incomplete and needs work, but a general idea.

fprintf with _() should probably be changed anyway in most cases, so maybe not worth bothering with.

Hamish