[GRASS-dev] GRASS 7 development started

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri May 30 22:58:19 EDT 2008

Hamish:
> > Any thoughts on keeping the inter-branch svn merge effort low?

Glynn:
> Don't merge?
>
> Eventually, 7.x and 6.x are going to diverge by more than
> just formatting.

If we went down that path I would think it better to rip out duplication from trunk rather than have things grow so far apart that future merging is not reasonably possible and we essentially fork the project with little hope of remerge. Then, once the grass7 feature set is stabilized things could start to be ported. I don't really like that approach, but it's an idea.

"make mix" still comes to mind :)

another way to think about all this is when to feature freeze for 6.4?
then we are just merging bug fixes by hand, which is not too onerous.

Hamish