[GRASS-dev] g.mlist: exclude parameter wish

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Nov 20 10:22:21 EST 2008

Huidae Cho wrote:

> We could add the exclude option, but I'm not so sure if we really need it.
> You can solve your problem by using a more specific wildcard if Paul's
> trick doesn't work.
>
> pat="gpcp_1dd_p1d_[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]_count"
>
> It's a little lengthy, but it works.  Any better examples where we might
> want the exclude option?

Also, you can always use 'g.mlist ... | grep -v ...'.

OTOH, adding e.g. G_set_ls_exclude_filter() wouldn't be much work.

Although it's theoretically possible to complement or "subtract"
regular expressions, in practice it's rather ugly, i.e. the result is
often far more complex than the original(s). And it isn't possible to
complement glob patterns.

While we're on the subject, I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile
using glob() where it's available (i.e. everywhere except Windows),
instead constructing an equivalent[1] regexp.

[1] There are a number of differences between g.mlist's glob patterns
and glob(), e.g. it doesn't support complemented ranges, it interprets
metacharacters within ranges, etc.