[GRASS-dev] testing results of r.watershed2 against old r.watershed

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Nov 27 19:43:09 EST 2008

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > Hi all, I'd like to report the results of testing I just did with the new
> > r.watershed2 module from the addons svn.
> > Results: both modules successfully produce quality output maps. In fact,
> > when the output maps are compared (subtracted with mapcalc) there is
> > absolutely NO DIFFERENCE between them. All values are the same. The main
> > difference then between the modules is the speed at which they operate. Old
> > r.watershed took about 1.5 minutes to finish, while the new r.watershed2
> > took ABOUT 5 SECONDS!!! This is an amazing increase in speed for exactly the
> > same result!
>
> I have moved the code to GRASS 6.4.svn and 7.svn now and deactivated
> the old version.

And presumably the clean-up I've done on watershed in 7.0 has all now
been discarded?

If you're going to make "improvements" to a module, and you absolutely
must do so in private, outside of the SVN repository, at least make
the effort to merge in other people's changes instead of just throwing
them away.