[GRASS-dev] testing results of r.watershed2 against old r.watershed

Markus Metz markus_metz at gmx.de
Sat Nov 29 08:33:24 EST 2008

It seems that I am at least in part responsible for the confusion about
svn versions of r.watershed2/r.watershed.fast, sorry for that!
The initial request was to make the changes to r.watershed available as
a separate module in the grass-addons svn repository, and I created a
new directory r.watershed2 there without any svn reference/information
to r.watershed.
The code was formatted with tools/grass_indent.sh so there shouldn't be
any funny whitespaces/tabs.
Now that the changes have been applied to grass-6.4 r.watershed2 should
be removed from grass-addons, it's only confusing users.
Actually I wanted to apply the changes of the r.watershed version in
grass-7 to r.watershed2, especially naming of options without points and
uppercase, but didn't get yet to it.

Now that some changes have been applied to r.watershed, maybe this is
sparking some interest in improving some parts here and there, as
suggested by Helena with regard to lsfac and meter to foot conversion,
also the suggestion of Isaac Ullah to apply a colortable to flow
accumulation that is equivalent to the visual output and remove the
"visual" option.
Further on, as Isaac mentioned it remains the responsibility of the user
to create a MASK excluding NULL cells in the input DEM before running
r.watershed. I think that NULL cells should be always ignored and
additionally any existing MASK respected. These changes shouldn't be too
difficult to apply.

If I suggest changes to the code again, I will supply diffs in the hope
to support svn change tracking and to avoid the confusion caused by
adding a module that appears new as far as svn is concerned.

Markus Metz