[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-SVN] r33717 - grass/trunk/lib/gis

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 7 19:45:22 EDT 2008

Glynn:
>>> Make G_is_[fd]_null_value() check for any NaN, not just all-ones

fwiw, I consider this a rare, but potentially very important change to
the raster engine.

Markus:
> > /me backport this?
>
> Maybe.
>
> Unless there are modules which genuinely need to distinguish GRASS
> nulls from other NaNs,

It can help in tracking down bugs, e.g. see the BUGS section of the
r.in.xyz man page.

IMO only a module bug or buggy r.mapcalc expression can introduce a nan
into a grass raster map, and so we shouldn't sweep them under the carpet
as NULLs. They are distinct- mathematical null vs. spatial null.

Hamish