[GRASS-dev] problem compiling grass7

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Oct 13 01:55:21 EDT 2008

Martin Landa wrote:

> I have problem compiling grass7 (probably related to the recent
> changes in Make.*)
>
> cd lib/pngdriver
>
> if [ "pngdriver" != "" -a -f "pngdriver".html ] ; then make html ; fi
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/grass_trunk/lib/pngdriver'
> VERSION_NUMBER=7.0.svn
> /usr/local/src/grass_trunk/tools/g.html2man/g.html2man.py
> /usr/local/src/grass_trunk/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/docs/html/pngdriver.html
> /usr/local/src/grass_trunk/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/man/man1/pngdriver.1
> make[1]: *** [/usr/local/src/grass_trunk/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/man/man1/pngdriver.1]
> Error 1

Right. This usually indicates that the HTML file isn't valid.
g.html2man.py exits with a non-zero status if it can't parse the HTML
file (although it doesn't print an error message).

Until recently, manual pages were generated by man/Makefile (the only
file in the man directory), while they are now generated alongside the
HTML (r33830 onwards).

An error in generating the manpage will be reported as an error in the
module (the top-level Makefile doesn't use Dir.make, so any errors in
its immediate children aren't reported in error.log).

I'm not sure why it's failing in this particular case. I don't get any
errors building that that file (or any other HTML file),
pngdriver.html hasn't changed in over a month, and I checked for any
broken HTML files within the last few days. Do you have any local
modifications?