[GRASS-dev] Re: #339: d.mon doesn't work (WinGrass commandline)

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Oct 19 17:38:40 EDT 2008

Michael Barton wrote:

> >> X monitors do not exist in native MS windows. You must use the GUI or
> > install the cygwin version.
> >>
> >> Perhaps an #ifdef could be added to d.mon so the module reports
> > something to this effect rather than leave the user confused.
> >
> > It might be better to just omit d.mon on Windows. The program itself
> > compiles fine, but as none of the drivers exist, there isn't much
> > point in
> > d.mon existing.
>
> I agree. Another thing might be to include some information along this
> line in the d.mon doc page.

Well, if d.mon is disabled in Windows, its manual page would be
disabled along with it.

> Something along the lines of...
>
> 'd.mon is the original visualization environment for GRASS and
> designed to work only with the X-Windows windowing interface system,
> widely used with Linux and Unix operating systems. X-Windows is an
> alternative to the Macintosh Aqua windowing interface and Microsoft's
> Windows windowing interface. To use X-Windows (and d.mon) with the
> Macintosh, it is necessary to install X-Windows from the Mac OS X
> system disk. To use X-Windows in a Microsoft Windows environment, it
> is necessary to install the Cygwin Unix emulation package that
> includes X-Windows.

Except that d.mon isn't specific to XDRIVER, nor is the lack of
monitors on Windows.

And AFAICT, the legacy display architecture was originally designed
for Tektronix 41xx (and similar) terminals; X support came later.