[GRASS-dev] Re: #339: d.mon doesn't work (WinGrass commandline)

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Oct 19 13:09:24 EDT 2008

On Oct 19, 2008, at 9:00 AM, <grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 12:21:16 -0000
> From: "GRASS GIS" <trac at osgeo.org>
> Subject: [GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS GIS] #339: d.mon doesn't work
> 	(WinGrass	commandline)
> To: undisclosed-recipients:;
>
> #339: d.mon doesn't work (WinGrass commandline)
> ---------------------------
> +------------------------------------------------
>  Reporter:  schulzea      |       Owner:  grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org
>      Type:  defect        |      Status:  closed
> Component:  default       |     Version:  6.3.0 RCs
> Resolution:  fixed         |    Keywords:
>  Platform:  MSWindows XP  |         Cpu:  Unspecified
> ---------------------------
> +------------------------------------------------
> Comment (by glynn):
>
> Replying to [comment:1 hamish]:
>> X monitors do not exist in native MS windows. You must use the GUI or
> install the cygwin version.
>>
>> Perhaps an #ifdef could be added to d.mon so the module reports
> something to this effect rather than leave the user confused.
>
> It might be better to just omit d.mon on Windows. The program itself
> compiles fine, but as none of the drivers exist, there isn't much
> point in
> d.mon existing.

I agree. Another thing might be to include some information along this
line in the d.mon doc page. Something along the lines of...

'd.mon is the original visualization environment for GRASS and
designed to work only with the X-Windows windowing interface system,
widely used with Linux and Unix operating systems. X-Windows is an
alternative to the Macintosh Aqua windowing interface and Microsoft's
Windows windowing interface. To use X-Windows (and d.mon) with the
Macintosh, it is necessary to install X-Windows from the Mac OS X
system disk. To use X-Windows in a Microsoft Windows environment, it
is necessary to install the Cygwin Unix emulation package that
includes X-Windows.

The TclTk and wxPython GUI interfaces that are installed with GRASS
provide an alternative visualization environment to d.mon, do not
require X-Windows, and work on all widely used operating systems
(including Linux, Unix, Mac, and Windows).'