[GRASS-dev] GRASS 6.4.0 release branch forthcoming

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Tue Oct 21 07:14:28 EDT 2008

Hello Markus

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, Markus Neteler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> let me suggest to create the GRASS 6.4.0 release branch the next
> days to get started with stability tests. The last release is long time
> ago and more and more efforts go into GRASS 7 (which is good).
> Time to get 6.4.0 out of the doors, say, to bring it to our users.

I agree - but do we need to create a release branch in advance of the
release? Any development in the 6.4 branch at present is intended for the
6.4.0 release anyway; it's not as if we need to branch off the release to
allow development to continue in the devel branch, as all new development
is going on in trunk.

I think to avoid having three separate branches (6.4 dev, 6.4 release and
7.0 dev/trunk) it would be best to only create the release branch
immediately before 6.4.0 is tagged.

Am open to persuasion though.

Paul