[GRASS-dev] Re: i.ortho.photo

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Oct 22 11:25:29 EDT 2008

On Oct 22, 2008, at 1:03 AM, <grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org> <grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org
 > wrote:

> Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 09:03:35 +0200
> From: "Markus Neteler" <neteler at osgeo.org>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] Re: i.ortho.photo
> To: hamish_b at yahoo.com
> Cc: GRASS developers list <grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
>
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I had thought about leaving i.ortho.photo/libes/ in trunk, as that
>> has
>> some hope of being reused (ie all but ask_camera.c to be merged into
>> lib/imagery/).
>
>> From grass64/TODO:
>
>  A)
>    - lib/imagery/: standard lib, in use (i.* except for i.points3,
> i.rectify3)
>    - imagery/i.ortho.photo/libes/: standard lib, in use
> (i.ortho.photo, photo.*)

I.points, i.points3, etc should be replaced by the wxPython
rectification module that does interactive control point creation and
maintenance. If features need to be added to make it work with
i.orthophoto, they should probably go into an enhancement ticket to
keep track of it.

Currently, both TclTk and wxPython rectification modules use
i.rectify. IMHO, we should have one rectification module. IIRC,
i.rectify3 has some enhanced features relative to i.rectify, but never
was finished to a point that it was useable. Can we simply upgrade
i.rectify or replace it with i.rectify3?

The main issues for this working with the GUI is to make sure that
there is compatibility in the control points files it reads and the
way it deals with locations/mapsets. Notably with respect to the
latter, i.rectify assumes that you start in an xy location/mapset and
rectify into a projected location/mapset. However, interactive control
point creation/management works better if you start in a projected
location/mapset and rectify from the xy location/mapset. This is the
way that r.proj and v.proj work too. If there is to be work on
i.rectify, I'd like to suggest that it be changed to work in this way
(start in projected mapset and rectify from the xy mapset).

Michael