[GRASS-dev] GRASS 6.4.0 release branch forthcoming

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Oct 23 03:15:47 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 8:31 AM, Maris Nartiss <maris.gis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
> as I understood from Glynn, it's too early to release 6.4.0 as GRASS 7
> is still too far away.

This reasoning is unclear to me. While I want to avoid GRASS 6.132.x,
there is no real problem to have a 6.6 is unavoidable.

In 6.4.svn are thousands (!) of fixes which don't reach the user yet
in an organized way.

> I also agree with Markus, that we need to
> release something for packagers, as more and more users are suggested
> to use SVN version and not some semi-stable version from packages.
> GRASS 6.3.0 was technical preview release - it was never promised to
> be stable. I see no point in releasing 6.3.1 with just some fixes.

I agree.

> My proposal - let's make another "technical preview" from devbranch6
> called i.e. 6.3.90 (just a devbranch6 tag within week or so) - we get
> something out for users who don't compile GRASS, still it's not final
> 6.4.0, that should be stable and bug free, as main release between 6.2
> and 7.0 should be.

You mean, with bulk-copying 6.4.svn into 6.3.svn? Or by downgrading
devel_grass6 branch to 6.3.90 or likewise in include/version.h? Or
by creating a 6.3.90 relbranch from devel_grass6?

Just to understand your suggestion...

Markus