[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS GIS] #73: r.out.gdal tiff output does not work

Markus Metz markus_metz at gmx.de
Fri Oct 24 08:10:50 EDT 2008

GRASS GIS wrote:
> #73: r.out.gdal tiff output does not work
> --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
>   Reporter:  helena       |       Owner:  grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org
>       Type:  defect       |      Status:  new
>  Component:  Raster       |     Version:  svn-trunk
> Resolution:               |    Keywords:  r.out.gdal, tiff
>   Platform:  Unspecified  |         Cpu:  Unspecified
> --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
> Comment (by neteler):
>
>  Markus (Metz),
>
>  what about integrating your fixes from
>   http://markus.metz.giswork.googlepages.com/r.out.gdal.conservative.tar.gz
>  ?
>
>  Markus

Sure, no objections from my side, I'm using this version only. But
r.out.gdal is a very important module of GRASS and maybe some more
testing is required. Also, the new features may not find approval by
all, e.g. I've put in rather restrictive NULL cell handling: the user
has to specify a nodata value that falls within the range of the
selected datatype (Byte, UInt16, Int16, ...), a nodata value is no
longer chosen automatically as in the original version. If a nodata
value is not given, but NULL cells are present, r.out.gdal aborts with
an error message. My version also no longer uses the current region
resolution, instead the current region extends are aligned to the
resolution of the raster to be exported to avoid any implicit
resampling. And the colortable is only exported on request, and then
with a warning message.
If these changes are ok with you then integrate the changes, otherwise
maybe only some, but not all changes could be integrated. More
discussion needed on how to change/improve r.out.gdal?

Markus