[GRASS-dev] suggested temporary feature freeze for wxGUI

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun Sep 7 12:23:11 EDT 2008

On Sep 7, 2008, at 5:06 AM, Martin Landa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2008/9/7 Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>:
>
>> Don't forget Mac too. Maybe William Kyngesburye can help with the
>> compilation issues. Neither vdigit nor the new ndim visualizer will
>> compile
>> with Mac--even though it is on a Unix platform.
>
> Vector digitizer should work on Mac even without lgdi link. For
> wxNviz, there is still unsolved issue with direct rendering (which is
> needed for nviz_cmd).
>
> Martin

I haven't tried compiling GRASS in a while, busy with other stuff.  I
thought vdigit compiled - the makefile has the correct compile flags
to handle libgdi.

Yes, nviz has the problem where you need to disable render.c (and lose
nviz_cmd).  The OpenGL programming is too deep for me.

There is a separate issue (not critical) that I'd like to see fixed
someday - Python linking.  Currently any binary code that uses python
(vdigit, nviz) links the python binary.  At least on OSX, this is not
the proper way to do it.  It's more like the dynamic lookup flags used
in vdigit to handle libgdi, but it requires knowing the full path to
the python binary, which is tricky in OSX.

It was discussed a while back, but Glynn was reluctant to put Python
path-detecting code in configure.

The main benefit of all this is that whichever python binary was used
to compile GRASS, *any* compatible python binary can be used to run
GRASS.  ie, compile using the system python 2.5.1 on Leopard, but run
using the python.org Python 2.5.2.  I'm seeing a lot more people
preferring the up-to-date python over the system python, though I
personally prefer to stick with the system python.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"This is a question about the past, is it? ... How can I tell that the
past isn't a fiction designed to account for the discrepancy between
my immediate physical sensations and my state of mind?"

- The Ruler of the Universe