[GRASS-dev] Compile only wildfire modules?

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 09:40:11 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Rainer:
>> I want to use the wildfire modules, and they are either EXTREMELY slow
>> (even on the demodataset) or there is something wrong with them,
>> because they seem to hang at 0% cells visited.
>
> It is endlessly stuck in a while loop.
> It's the second loop in r.spread/replaceHa.c, because the loop is
> launched with smaller_child = 0.

Thanks - I expected something like that. Is that corrected in the svn version?

>    while ( (smaller_child <= *heap_len) &&
>           (new_min_cost > heap[smaller_child].min_cost)) {
>
>        heap[i].min_cost = heap[smaller_child].min_cost;
>        heap[i].angle = heap[smaller_child].angle;
>        heap[i].row = heap[smaller_child].row;
>        heap[i].col = heap[smaller_child].col;
>
>        i = smaller_child;
>        smaller_child = 2 * i;
>
>        if ((2 * i < *heap_len) &&
>            (heap[2 * i].min_cost > heap[2 * i + 1].min_cost))
>            smaller_child++;
>    }
>

>> Therefore I want to compile them with #define DEBUG enabled. At the
> Martin wrote:
>> g.gisenv set=DEBUG=5
>
> fyi I just migrated most of the ifdef'd DEBUGs to G_debug() (g.gisenv).

Thanks a lot.

>> moment, I am compiling the grass completely - but there must be a way
>> of compiling only the wildfire modules (or even only r.spread)?
>
> cd raster/wildfile/r.spread
> svn up
> make
> #insert optional install step here

OK - I'll try that.

>> How long does it take with the demomapset in demolocation (excuting the
>> script firedemo.sh manually)?
>
> forever.

That's what I feared.

Is there an alternative for simulating anisotropic spread ? I am using
at the moment r.cost, but that assumes isotropic spread, which I don't
have.

> the test fire simulation dataset is here:
>  http://grass.osgeo.org/download/data6.php

Thanks again for all your help,

Rainer

> Hamish