[GRASS-dev] nviz compile errors on Mac OS X

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun Sep 14 14:32:33 EDT 2008

On Sep 14, 2008, at 12:50 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

>> Test on Mini: nviz sortof runs (no crash) - the "Please wait,
>> but there are a palette and quit (nviz) tool buttons.  I can "quit"
>> nviz and the please wait dialog goes away.
>>
>> In addition to the other macpython + wx I mentioned, I installed
>> PyOpenGl 3.0.0b5.
>
> This shouldn't be necessary to run OpenGL but maybe Martin is using
> it for something.

nviz wouldn't run without it.

>> How did you configure GRASS?  The relevant options I used are:
>>
>> --with-x
>> --with-python
>> --with-opengl=aqua
>> --without-tcltk
>> --with-wxwidgets=/usr/local/lib/wxPython-unicode-2.8.8.1/bin/wx-
>> config
>
> Here is a potential problem. I was using
>
> --with-x
> --with-opengl=aqua
> --with-tcltk-includes="/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Headers /
> Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Headers /Library/Frameworks/
> Tk.framework/PrivateHeaders"
> --with-python=/usr/local/bin/python-config
> --with-wxwidgets=/usr/bin/wx-config (on someone's suggestion
> recently to solve a different issue)
>

> I just changed that and compiled using
>
> --with-wxwidgets=/usr/local/lib/wxPython-unicode-2.8.8.1/bin/wx-config

Ah, you were mixing the python.org python with the system's wxpython.
The wx binary extensions in GRASS (the nviz and vdigit .so's) were
linked to the system wxwidgets libraries, but then the GUI loaded your
wxpython 2.8.8.1, thus some binary confusion.

> But I'm still getting the python crash. I'm attaching the new crash
> log.

Looks pretty much the same - it's trying to load a binary module, but
it doesn't say what it is.

There are no system wx libraries now, which is good.

Just to test, try configuring without tcltk.  As Glynn pointed out,
something is loading the X11 libraries, which are completely
unnecessary within the Python GUI.  All those do is enable the tcltk
nviz, and have nothing to do with the tcltk GUI anyways (if you want
to keep that option open).  Even tho you configure with the aqua
tcltk, maybe that's still getting some X11 into the mix.

with-x isn't causing me any problems, but if disabling tcltk doesn't
help, try disabling X.

Of course, this may have nothing to do with nviz crashing, but it's
worth a try.

> If OSX 10.5 is installing Python 2.5.1, maybe I should ditch Python
> 2.5.2 for simplicity's sake. I still want the most recent wxPython
> however, because it contains some important bug fixes for OSX. Do
> you think I can just uninstall Python 2.5.2 and wxPython, then
> reinstall wxPython linked to the system Python? Can I just move
> other site packages or do I have to reinstall everything?

Either Python should be fine.  I don't see a reason to stop using
macpython if you want a more recent wxpython.

Reinstalling a recent wxpython for the system python would take
compiling wxpython from scratch - the binary extension bits are linked
to the macpython.  I've considered trying it out someday for kicks
(and installing an updated numpy for the system python) - it should
work.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Mon Dieu! but they are all alike.  Cheating, murdering, lying,
fighting, and all for things that the beasts of the jungle would not
deign to possess - money to purchase the effeminate pleasures of
weaklings.  And yet withal bound down by silly customs that make them
slaves to their unhappy lot while firm in the belief that they be the
lords of creation enjoying the only real pleasures of existence....

- the wisdom of Tarzan